Monday, November 26, 2012

What is Next?

How does one describe an experience that is so different from the life you live?  Thinking about this question has allowed me to realize that maybe instead of focusing on the differences between Indian peoples' lifestyle and my own American lifestyle, I should focus on the things that connect us as people of God.
Yes, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the poverty and poor living conditions that are so apparent for many Indian people. In fact, the first few days in India, I had a hard time looking at anything else.  The emotions that I felt were overwhelming at times as I saw how hard people worked, how poor the living conditions were, and how the smell of poverty permeates everything around you.
As we continued our journey, I started to see beyond the things that first took me by surprise. Instead I saw great things happening.  This is a country filled with people who are so kind.  The work ethic they have is incredible.  They just do what needs to be done to survive.  Simple things are important to them; faith, family, helping each other and knowing that each person must live in harmony with the others around them.
The AELC, along with other groups and individuals, are doing some great work helping to spread the word of God.  We visited many places where people had heard a call from God and started Christian based places where people could come to find sanctuary or get help to develop skills so they could support themselves.  Education facilities are being set up where poverty stricken children can learn and have a place to stay.  Places have been developed to house young and old orphaned people.  One couple started their own free clinic where both body and spiritual health needs are addressed.  Another couple are in the process of setting up a place where Autistic individuals can get educated in the most beneficial way.  The list goes on and on.
So I ask myself, what now is my part in all of this.  I know that God led me to this opportunity to use me to spread his word and work.  The first thing I will stress is that we are all God's children.  We walk together as disciples and therefore connecting and supporting one another in any way we can is so important.  If I could take one piece of information that I learned from those in India and share it with those around me, it would be that we can't just say we are Christians but that we also have to live our life as Christians.  Even though we are human and make mistakes, we need to continue to strive to become more knowledgeable about our faith and then really live this in our lives.
I know that I don't fully understand my complete part in how I will use my Indian experience to help spread God's word and work, but I will continue to talk to my ELCA traveling companions, pray and listen with an open heart for God's call.  I am truly a very blessed person to have been able to have such an incredible experience with such a terrific group of people.
Peggy Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment